1.17.2011

I love this review of my blog by quotidian photography.....

The Visual Science Lab I didn't really understand this blog when I started reading it. It's a bit all over the place. When I started reading the author, photographer Kirk Tuck, was obsessed with Olympus cameras and I really couldn't relate, not owning nor even wanting particularly to own an Olympus. But what gear he's shooting with is really beside the point. He is an incredibly prolific writer, spinning out endless essays about the worth of various parts of the photography business and process as a whole. What I love about him most is that he changes his mind almost every week. Yet I wouldn't characterize him as wishy-washy or indecisive. He's just a bit quicksilver, unpredictable. Always a good read. Even when you don't particularly care to purchase or even try the equipment he's talking about.


From Quotidian Photography (blog)

9 comments:

PhotED said...

Nice one! I notice your reviews are referenced a lot on the micro four-thirds forum as well . A couple of us pointed them to your blog for the latest real-world E-PL2 reviews.

d said...

Kirk Tuck is not a man who changes his mind almost every week, as Quotidian assumes, but rather, he is a man of vast and varied enthusiasms. As he goes from one to the other of them it may seem to some observers that he’s changing his mind, but what he is really doing is picking up one of his enthusiasms, giving it his full attention for a while, and then moving on to another one. Each enthusiasm gets its turn; none is diminished by this process, and few are permanently laid aside. Meanwhile, we all benefit from his peregrinations through the world of photography.

I would suggest that it is this attitude of vast and varied enthusiasm that has enabled Tuck to survive and even thrive in the exceedingly difficult business of commercial photography. It is a process of constant self-refreshment through experimentation that enables him to not only make a living, but to live well enough to buy the tools and toys that are themselves the objects of many of those enthusiasms.

Alan said...

You're in good company with the other blogs mentioned. As far as the gear, I think that you've made it clear it's the image first, using the right equipment to get the job done well.

Anonymous said...

He is insane but brilliantly insane. And when I go back and think about what he's written I nearly always find myself agreeing. Even when I initially didn't want to.

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog, Kirk! Honestly didn't cross my mind that you might see my little blurb.

(And d, I agree, but I think I just said it a little differently. I definitely 'benefit from his peregrinations.' That's what I meant to say. :) )

Dave Jenkins said...

Somehow, my previous comment registered as "d", but it was me -- Dave Jenkins

Marino Mannarini said...

Sometimes, reading Kirk is a bit like wandering along a big and ( one thought) known city, you sort of turn the next corner and -lo -you discover that a completely new district unfolds, totally renovated and rebulit, or more the case, what one thought it would be the old usual street suddenly is sparkling with new life, features, and colours. But the eye and the mind remains the same: open, flexible, sharp and passionate!

Unknown said...

Your blog has become my favorite read. The first thing I do every morning is see if you have written anything. I enjoy your explorations in all things photographic. It is a feast for the eyes. Thank you for allowing us to join your journey.

Bengt said...

You are great read and i am an Olympus fan too...love my E-PL1 and E-3