12.13.2013

Thinking about creativity and re-invention reminded me of an older article. Allow me to re-share...

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-good-stuff-is-in-wiring-dirt-just.html

From: A Christmas Story. Zach Theatre


I am of the belief that becoming an expert in anything is the quickest path to boredom, stagnation and being rolled over by progress. People often take me to task for buying new equipment, changing systems, working with different kinds of light. My take on it is that doing the same crossword puzzle over and over and over again isn't sign that you are smart or agile, it's a sign that you are bat shit crazy. 

I work with different cameras to see if they make me see in a different way. Isn't that what we want? Don't we want to differentiate our points of view?  I use different lights to see how they affect my subject, the way motion is expressed or to create a different mood or environment for my subjects. They are mostly people. Isn't exploration something we pretend to value highly?

The tools we use have an influence on how we put stuff together. That's been true since the dawn of time. It was true when we learned that spearing our dinner with long spears killed it more effectively (and safely) than trying to club it to death in very close quarters. Fellow caveman, UGGG, might have invented a better club but caveman, Bob, moved the game forward with his sharp, pointy stick. Fewer cavemen showed up to the Barbecue injured after Bob's discovery went mainstream...

The important part is your story and your own interesting self. But it's folly to think that new technology has no effect on the continuing commercial enterprise of photography.....



No comments: