9.23.2014

Creating portraits is an interesting occupation. So much depends on the kindness of strangers---and on your kindness toward them.


I love portraits of young people because they keep my own connection with the joy of my own youth strong and present. A portrait of a young person can seem filled with promise and energy. But then so can a good portrait of someone at any age.

I did this image of Victoria in Denver a year and a few months ago. I was using a Sony a99 at the time and almost certainly shot this with a 70-200mm Sony lens. I've moved on since then but it was a camera with a lot of promise. As was the lens.

For me the camera was less important than the realization, even as I was shooting, that the image needed to be in black and white. I could see the tones in my mind as I set up the lighting and looked through the finder. The rest of the process was just going through the steps to get what I could already see onto the sensor.

I find a big, soft, directional lighting design so comfortable...

2 comments:

Wolfgang Lonien said...

It certainly *is* a nice portrait of a beautiful young woman, and I can see why you went for a film look here. But the sensor wasn't big enough ;-) How about a 4x5, or at least a 6x7? (Sorry couldn't resist)

Jon Porter said...

Two very lovely B&W portraits, both with a wonderful Hasselblad-ish feel to them!