3.21.2017

How learning about video improves your still photography story-telling. How good portrait lighting translates into more interesting video.


Every time I practice lighting portraits I end up porting that knowledge over into video lighting. After all, what is an interview but a nicely lit portrait that moves and has sound? By the same token, as I learn more about shooting video I learn that there's more than one angle and more than one visual point of view in a photo session. More options give me more choice. And, by being a better interviewer in the video world I've learned how to "lead" a portrait subject into a pose and expression that is more exactly what I am aiming for rather than being a session of endurance; predicated on random connections and fast reflexes.

It goes both ways. In doing both I find I am more prepared for each discipline. The more fluid I get with each practice the better my results get for each. Being able to blend the strengths of the two media is a fun exercise and a real plus. Try doing a great interview and following it quickly with a great portrait in the same set up. You'll already have the rapport on tap.....

1 comment:

Wolfgang Lonien said...

It's all related, and if you can connect the knowledge gathered from different fields, then all the better. In my case, working in professional recording studios (both as a musician and as a technician) really helps now that I'm showing colleagues how to handle the audio part of their videos.

And yes, knowledge about portait lighting is also very nice to have - even when confronted with natural daylight.