5.12.2017

A Perfect Saturday Morning. OT: a swim post. Proud to be sedentary? Don't read this.


There are some things I just don't do with my camera and one of them is swimming. I suppose I could rivet a Go Pro to my head and document every stroke but I'm pretty darn sure the audience for the resulting images/video would be about one, and even I would tire of it quickly. 

We have two masters workouts on Saturday mornings. One is the serious/low conversation/high yardage workout that goes from 7:30am- 8:30am while the second is a more crowded, boisterous, engaging and eclectic workout - from 8:30am to 10am. Make no mistake though, while we have fun in the later workout we do get our yards in. 

Last Saturday I woke up early for no good reason at all and decided to go to the early workout. I had a big glass or water at home and drove the mile and a half on quiet, almost empty streets. I hopped into lane three with Ann and Tom and we followed Ann as she dragged us through each set on tight intervals that I could barely make. It was great to watch the sun come up over the hill next to the pool and send beautiful rays of light through the (almost) crystal clear water. 

I was tired at the end of the first workout but stayed for the first half hour of the second workout. I probably swam in four different lanes; just to mix things up. 

The Western Hills Athletic Club seems to be one of a fading type of club --- one almost completely dedicated to the sport of swimming instead of being a social club for upper middle class networking. Kids workouts and teams trump everything but masters workouts are still a top priority. The club has no food service, no bar, no service staff. Just lifeguards, a pool manager and a freelance tennis pro. You mostly come here to swim. And usually you come to swim hard. 

I've spent so many beautiful days here over the last twenty years. Saturday was a wonderful day of swimming and recharging. I'd write more but I'm heading over to participate in the noon masters practice today. I wonder which former gold medal winning Olympian will be our coach today? 





Camera: Panasonic G85. 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

2 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

Has anyone ever told you that you have a way with a camera. Any camera.

milldave said...

Enjoy the facility while you still have it; I'm really envious of an outdoor pool!
Living in Edmonton, AB, one has a limited choice of pools available and not easily accessed for the training swims (I'm hugely underwhelmed by 'theme' pools and wave machines!!; swimming is one way to get around thse 7-month Winter blues!).
Love the 'social club for upper middle class networking'; one reason why I steadfastly resist country club memberships.
It speaks to me of all that's wrong with North America in the last 10 years (also up here, in the Frozen North).
And Frank, who knows you much better than I do,is 100% on the money with his comment.
Have a great weekend!
David